Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Politically divided




It's finally here....you know what I'm talking about.....ELECTION DAY...it's a day where instead of racing off to work or school you take time first to head to the polls.

Kelly's voting experience:

I drove to Gadsden last night after my LOPM class and meeting with my professor and group partner, Robby. I stayed at my parents house and woke up this morning to leave for my polling location. I arrived at 6:50 - 10 minutes before the doors even opened. I thought that was plenty of time - I was wrong. Parking was non-existent, so I parked in the grass next to the building. Then I walked to where the end of the line was - as it started at the door and weaved throughout the parking lot. Then I waited. Then finally, with my id checked, my name checked off the list, and my ballot in hand I VOTED! I PROUDLY VOTED FOR JOHN MCCAIN! As I placed my ballot in the machine, a number read 110. Can you believe that? I was already the 110th voter at my polling place. It was absolutely unbelievable to me. I took my "I VOTED" sticker and placed it proudly on my shirt. I then left the polling location - this took a while as cars were backed up trying to get in the parking lot - picked up Molly from my parents house and headed to Birmingham for today's classes.

Matt's voting experience:

Matt's polling location opened at 6:30 - so he was there bright-eyed and bushy tailed. He too waited his turn in line and the PROUDLY VOTED FOR BARACK OBAMA! Matt told me this morning that the individuals who were working the polling location were already shocked by the number of people and had stated that this will surpass any other voter turn out in Charlottesville history. This is important because Virginia is a "swing" state - and no matter how individuals are voting, it is phenomenal to see people getting involved. Matt was lucky that his polling place was not the main location downtown because as he drove by after voting at his location, he saw ridiculously long lines circling the other location. Matt then proceeded to McDonald's for breakfast and off to work.

So we have fulfilled our civic duty and although Matt and I are politically divided, we wanted to take a minute to encourage each and everyone of you to go out and VOTE!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

did you score all the freebies yesterday too? starbucks coffee, krispy kreme donut, chick-fil-a sandwich, ben & jerry's ice cream...yesterday was insane, wasn't it?? a friend's husband actually waited 2 hours & 40 minutes to vote! i can't believe our state STILL doesn't have a winner! and why's it so close in missouri? seriously, missouri?? obama??? whatever. anyway, off to pack our bags. we're moving to australia... for the next 4 years at least. i've always wanted to check out the diving at the great barrier reef. thanks to obama and his uninformed supporters, i may now have a chance to live there! :)