Wednesday, November 5, 2008

a new day...a new President Elect




Well, last night was "history in the making.." and I'm not talking about an African American being voted as nation's 44th President. I am just talking about the voting of Americans for their 44th President - Barack Obama. It doesn't matter his race, because it was history in the making no matter what - a new president elect is always "history in the making." (Am I the only one that see that?) I do think it does say a lot for the American public, how far they have come, that an African American will become the leader of the US in the new year. However, I can only hope people voted on politics rather than race, because if they voted on race, it is sad where our country still remains racially.

I can say that the man I voted for did not win the election. I can also say I did not cry, I did not speak out in anger, I did not make an angry or rude facebook status, this is democracy in action. I am not the only American voting. He did however give one of the best concession speeches I have ever heard. And I couldn't agree more with him, we as a nation (no matter who we voted) must get behind Obama, we must hope for the best. I'm not saying I agree with his political choices (let's face it, if I did I would've voted for him), but it is his job now to do what is the best for the nation no matter the party lines.

I can say that Matt is ecstatic about the results. No only did his Presidential vote count, but Virginia went blue for first time since the state's electoral votes went to LBJ in 1964. Now, that's even more history! I can say I wasn't surprised by Virginia, but definitely was shocked that Florida went blue.

With that being said, it's a new day, a new President Elect, and whether you voted for him or not, you are still an American and life will go on....(unless you've already moved to Mexico, Australia, or Canada)! So here's hoping everyone enjoys their day (especially if you are having beautiful weather like Birmingham where it is 78 and beautiful outside - crazy...this is November)!

1 comment:

Wandering Wallaces said...

What is, is...or was it a democrat that asked us "what is "is"? Well, four years will come, four years will go...how it will go, only Heaven knows! You're right..that's the beauty of a democracy...the people spoke for their choice candidate..now one-and-all should work together..is that America or utopia?
Glad that I'm retired and now one of the "underpaid" members of the democracy!