Sunday, October 5, 2008

I miss my Grams...


Yesterday I lost someone very special in my life - Grams (my grandmother - my mother's mom). Some of you knew her and some of you did not; those that did should consider your lives blessed by having known her.  I know I was blessed to grow up with Grams next door.  You know, I thought I'd be ok (I guess as ok as you can be when confronted with this situation) because I believe Grams is happier now and re-united with Papere (my grandfather), but once finally alone with my thoughts (this afternoon), I realize, I'm not so "ok." 

I thought I'd share some memories with you that are at the fore-front of my thoughts today, which are also some of the best memories I have of Grams.

1) My twin sister Robyn and I rode with my grandparents to Connecticut one summer.  The four of us were squeezed in tight into my grandparents brand new Chrysler Seabring Convertible.   It was a very posh car - particularly the transmission, as it could be both manual and automatic. Well on the onset of day two, Grams started driving.  There was this whining noise as soon as we hit the interstate and it continued to get worse.  I looked down, and it was Grams going 65 in SECOND gear! She had pulled the gearshift too far down - past Drive and into manual second gear. 

2) Grams was dropping my older sister off at a friends house - again, Robyn and I were in the car.  This time however, it was before the above note, and the car was a brand new Chevy Impala.  Grams was reversing out of the friends driveway and reversed right over the friends parent's mailbox - not stopping for a beat and waving goodbye out the window.  When we were on the drive back to Grams and Papere's house, Grams swore to us not to tell Papere.  We of course agreed.  The minute the car was in park Robyn and I ran in and told Papere about the incident and then ran home.  The reason this story is even more funny is because exactly a week ago today I went to visit Grams in the hospital with my parents.  As I began to tell this story, Grams looks at me and without missing a beat shouted "Shut-up Kelly!"  Hilarious!

3) Robyn, Grams, and I at Christmas time (when we were very young girls) put stings of popcorn and red ribbons on these three trees in my grandparents yard.  The trees were then maybe 2 feet tall, while now they are 30 feet or higher.  However, as hard as Robyn and I worked on those popcorn strings, they were always super short.  Finally we discovered why...for every piece of popcorn we threaded onto it, Grams ate 2 off!

4)  Growing up I'm pretty sure Grams had a camera with her 24/7.  (This was back - way before digital).  However, every picture she took she cut the heads off of people.  I'm not talking about on purpose - just when the pictures were developed, it was the persons shoulders down to the feet, but no head.  Or she would snap pictures for an hour or two and then we would find out that there was no film in the camera. 

5) (This is the most special as it is something only I shared with Grams).  Grams had a naturally crooked finger, her second finger on right hand at the very top of the finger.  Well it just so happens that my muscle in the top of that same finger on my hand is pretty strong - meaning, I can bend it to make my finger (and it is just that top part that bends) look just like hers, I'm talking identical.  We used to always joke about our fingers - our crooked fingers! Ha!

There are so many more fantastic stories all involving such a phenomenal woman - my Grams.  So, even though I know in my heart Grams is in a better place, now you can see a little reason why I miss my Grams.

4 comments:

THE WADE FAMILY said...

What a fantastic lady! We loved reading this post...I particularly loved the second memory seeing as how we were on the porch watching Grams drive off and saying to each other "Did she actually just drive over the mail box?" Ha! I have so many similar to yours and have thought about posting something to that effect. I may still. I have my moments. In church today I remembered how much Grams liked hymns, watching church on t.v. Sunday mornings, and hearing me play her favorite hymn (Amazing Grace) on the piano. The memory brought me to tears. Then I started to see in my mind Papere and Grams up there with their wine and oyster crackers smiling down on me and I teared up again. I'm torn between feeling glad that they aren't in physical pain anymore but selfishly wishing they were still here for a final hug, laugh, whistle, tongue roll or song...to which I'm gonna end this comment by song (ha!):

Rida, rida ranka,
hästen heter Blanka.
Liten riddare så rar
ännu inga sporrar har.
När han dem har vunnit,
barndomsro försvunnit.

Love ya Grams!

Meredith said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Anyone who heard you speak of Grams knew how VERY much you loved her--and I'm sure she knew it, too! I agree that it is so hard to know that they are in a better place, reunited with their beloved, when you really want them here with you--that's how I felt about my Granddad. I will be thinking of you!

Diana said...

You are in my thoughts during this difficult time. There is nothing that can prepare you for a loss like this, and I know only time will heal. Think about what a reunion she is having right now in heaven. May you cherish all the great memories like the ones you wrote about. I am thinking of your family.

Wandering Wallaces said...

The memories were so plentiful, so endearing. Grams and Papere were so blessed to have you living so near to them...both physicallly, growing up, and emotionally, through letters, calls, cards and your presence as you grew older. You brought a smile to her face...whether sharing a memory with her or even helping her to eat when she chose not to. She lived for you, your sisters and her great-grandchildren...having told me that more than once. The "apples of her eye" you will always be...no matter where time or distance has taken her or will take you.