Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Welcomed Weekend...

This was definitely a welcomed weekend after a long week - for both Matt and I.  Although this weekend didn't bring Matt and I together, it was a good weekend for both of us.  Matt had another boys weekend while I went to hang out with my parents.


Kelly's Weekend:
My weekend began on Thursday, since I don't have Friday classes.  I drove back to Gadsden with Molly after my Sea, Ocean, and Coastal class on Thursday.  By the time I got in Thursday - well, actually, now that I type this, I had no idea what we did Thursday when I got in.  I know I did my laundry and then I had Subway pizza for dinner while my parents ate homemade stir-fry, but the rest of the afternoon is kind-of a mystery.  Then Friday arrived...and it was time for Mother's day.  Now I just want everyone to know that I was on-time for Mother's day and my present was 3 M's...Manicures, Margaritas, and a Movie...but my mom and I haven't had time to schedule this fun date, so Friday it finally happened.  First, off to the invitation store to order Matt and I's wedding invitations (so exciting...and woo-hoo for being super early...proof due in this Thursday)! Then off to manicures!  I decided not to get a color, but just have my nails sculpted, my mom however chose a beautiful color (i always chose a color based on the fun name O.P.I. brand gave it) that reminded her (and i ) of the color Grams always had on.  Then it was off to Margaritas - with a quick stop at the brand new JC Penny's in Gadsden...where I got two sweaters and some earrings for my mom.  Then it was off to Villa Fiesta for margaritas (frozen for my mom) and a frozen strawberry daiquiri for me!  YUMMY! Then home for the "movie" because we couldn't find anything good playing.  That night we headed out to Cherokee County, Alabama to eat at Creekside for dinner.  Well, it was my dad's job to make sure this "seasonal" (and historical) restaurant was open.  Apparently, it wasn't.  We drove up there (about 40 minutes) and there was a note on the door - RETIRED no longer open since August 24th.  I guess once my parents decided to retire, everyone else did too.  So, it was off to a small local steakhouse that my parents found when they stayed at a bed and breakfast up there.  I will say two things: 1) quaint and small - but the family owned operation is phenomenal...FANTASTIC individuals up there 2) never get a tuna steak at a steakhouse in north Alabama!  Seriously though, my parents meals looked delicious, my salad and baked potato were super tasty....and above all, it was a great experience.  We spent the drive home talking about where my sisters and I went to summer camp...CAMP SKYLINE (Mentone, AL)...great times...great memories!  Then Saturday, we woke up and after a heavy house cleaning we headed over to Millie (the old house) to clean some stuff out of the garage.  Then we back to the house - where my mom opened up her birthday present from me.  (The big day is later this week).  It was Harry Potter Clue game.  She opened it up, and after reading the directions we played! It was tons of fun! Then it was time for school work and before I knew it, Sunday was here.  Sunday we all drove into Birmingham.  Dad got to test out my parents knew navigational system (the super cool TomTom).  I got things set up at Verizon so my parents could have internet on their upcoming travels (they are headed to Maryland on Tuesday for 2 weeks of sailing!!! Did I tell you that they are learning to get their Captain's licenses? Well my dad will be Captain Pap Doc and my mom First Mate Gramercy!)  Then after a quick shopping trip to a closing Linen's and Things...it was Panera's for lunch and home sweet home.  I stayed in Birmingham of course and will spend tonight going to see Jennifer's pumpkin carving skills (she is doing her friends face - super ambitious...all i did was a monster) and dinner with Robby and James.  After a week of hiding - I think it's time for friends again!  So here's to a new week - which means school and 4 papers (yikes - must start researching), and then house/cat sitting this weekend (and of course working on those papers)!

Matt's weekend:
Matt isn't quite as lucky as me to get Friday's off! Ha! So, his weekend started when he left the office around 6ish Friday night.  After some grocery shopping it was home to do laundry and clean - as he was headed for another BOYS WEEKEND! I get so excited for Matt when he gets to see his fraternity brothers again - because I know what it is like to go from having your friends right down the street to a lot of miles away! (Elizabeth, Meredith, and Diana - I totally miss you girls a lot!) So anyways, Saturday Matt was up bright and early - a little too early for a 2pm game time (I thought and told Matt)...but completely on time for a noon kick-off (which Matt told me was the right game time! ha!)  Matt met his friends somewhere on grounds and tailgated.  Then it was time for kick-off.  Now I know UVA isn't having a "stellar" football season, but the upset of Maryland was apparently just what UVA needed to get things rolling this year because Saturday was a WIN for UVA vs. E. Carolina 35-20!!! WA-HOO-WA!!!  Then the boys were off to the Corner for dinner and the after-game scene at the Biltmore.  Matt's friends left early this morning and he is spending his Sunday in the best way possibly- rest and relaxation!!! Matt has a week of work ahead of him and another home game this coming weekend with UVA v. UNC - which could bring either another boy's weekend or working weekend (recruits) or perhaps relaxing! 

So from Matt and I to all of you - we hope you have a great week.  

Wedding information update:
1) Although I told you above, we've ordered invitations!!! Woo-hoo! Very exciting!

2) Matt fixed a little error we had with the tuxes, but now they are all picked out and ready to go!! The guys are going to look so good!  (Sorry girls still have no idea how you are going to look! Ha! Ha!)

3) Talked with potential florist on Friday morning and meeting with her in Nov! :-) (If we book here, that means all of the "big" stuff are done - except for DJ...I'm begining to think that this goal of being completely done with wedding planning by March might come true)

No comments: