Tuesday, October 7, 2008

This past weekend...

   

Although this past weekend was emotional for my family, there were also happy times.  The weekend begins for me on Thursday nights as I do not have classes on Friday.  Well, Thursday brought with it a trip to a doctor to check out a wicked spider bite I have had for a week.  But do not fear - according to the doctor and to my mother's relief "I'll get to keep my leg!"  (That's an inside joke between my mom and I - but we are both very pleased with the diagnosis - not a brown recluse bite).  So, 3 pills a day and four times a day applying cream to the spot of the bite hopefully it will get better soon.  Moving on.  My parents and I then went to visit my grandmother.  Then it was back home to my parents house to wait for the arrival of my fiance. That's right, Matt decided that he'd rather be in Sweet Home Alabama for the weekend than Scott Stadium (really though, who saw a 31-0 upset over Maryland though? Nobody!) Anyways, Matt started driving Thursday afternoon and arrived late Thursday night.  I'll be honest - I couldn't wait to just get a hug from my soon-to-be hubby.  Sometimes a girl just needs a hug you know?  

Then Friday was upon us - it came earlier for my dad and I than anyone else in the house, thanks to insomnia.  Matt and I spent the morning giving Molly a bath (necessity, trust me) and then paying off the 1st portion of our honeymoon!! (That's right, we are saving like crazy so that our honeymoon will be completely paid for by the time we start it...and, we are 1/2 way there!!! Woo-hoo!)  Then it was a trip to Pruett's (Gadsden's famous BBQ) for lunch before a round of golf at Robert Trent Jones Course (Silverlakes).  We played the Par 3 - 9 hole course.  It was my parents in one golf cart and Matt and I in the other - but the teams were boys vs. girls - and boy-o-boy was it a great day to be a girl.  My mother and I kicked some boy butt! After that is was time to head home to home cooked chicken pot pie.  (Not kidding, my mom and I cooked it - completely homemade while the boys played Tiger Woods golf on Wii).  After that is was time for bed.  

The next morning was the morning my Grams passed away, but after talking to my mom we knew that we had to go on with our daily plans - it is what Grams would've wanted.  That meant a trip to Homestead Hollow and the Pumkin Patch.  Homestead Hollow is ridiculously hard to explain, so I won't even try - ok, well I will kind of try.  Imagine over 100 booths set up outside with vendors selling things.  That was a very horrible attempt, but there you have it.  However I've been going with my mom for the past two years, so year three together was a no-brainer.  Then it was a quick 33 mile trip to the Pumpkin Patch.  Now the directions that I lovingly printed out to get us from Homestead Hollow to the Pumkin Path were well, let's just say they left a little something to be desired (33 miles would take 1 hour 14 minutes - yeah, right?!!?).  So with Matt as the navigator, my father driving the truck, and my mom and I hanging on for dear life and laughing our heads off.  It was the best 33 miles of the day.  It was over one mountain - then down it - then back over another.  We were only on roads before turning for 2.0 miles or less.  One time we were on a road with no name. Seriously!  Then we turned right and there was an outhouse with a big R for Restroom on it.  Oh lordly, my mother and I were laughing so hard - and so were the boys.  Thank goodness Matt read a mailbox to get us going in the right direction.  Anyways we finally arrived at the pumpkin patch - no worse for the wear.  We all got on a hay-ride and it dropped us off at a pumpkin patch.  Literally! I've never seen one before! It was pretty cool.  Then the search began to find the perfect pumpkin.  Once everyone found what they were looking for (mine being the best of course), it was back to the house we went for a pizza dinner.  Then my mom and I hung out watching tv while the guys worked on the computer in the office doing some "special business."  Pretty soon my mom and I were falling asleep, so it was off to bed.  

After waking up - cleaning our rooms, bed sheets, towels, and laundry - it was time for Matt to hit the road again.  So off he went back 9 hours to Charlottesville.  I thought I would leave at the same time for B'ham, but instead I decided to stay with my parents and carve pumpkins (mine a monster, my mom's a ghost, my dad's a pirate).  Then it was time for me to go back to b'ham.  

So another week begins - Matt at work, me at school (or at least I will be Wednesday).  I took Monday and Tuesday off, some "me" time. 

So, I've been thinking a lot about my Grams these past few days.  First I want to thank everyone for their caring comments, emails, ims and phone calls.  They are very appreciated.  Secondly, I'd like to tell a story (I know, again, you are probably not shocked!).  

So the other weekend I was home in Gadsden (I know, what's new?!?!) and I went to see Grams.  Well she was eating a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup.  Now I don't know if that combination is a national thing - but it is definitely a Wallace thing (or in my Grams' case, a Usas thing).  It's a combination that I absolutely love, but I love two weird things - I add pickles to my grilled cheese and I dip my sandwich into the soup.  Well, I had that for dinner tonight (not on purpose, just had all the ingredients at my apartment) and it made me think of how I told Grams about the dunking the sandwich into the soup tactic.  So I hyped it up because I love it so, and she finally decided to try it.  Well, I wish I could say she loved it just as much, but the look of disgust on her face was hilarious.  We both ended up laughing and of course she didn't bother to tell me how gross it was.  I wonder if blunt honesty like that is a genetic trait given to me by her or if I just picked it up from being around her.  Either way, I've got it.  I still think about her a lot, but these past few days have been very good for me - so, again,  thanks to all of those who have been there for me.


  

No comments: