Sunday, August 17, 2008

Apples and Airplanes

Last night Matt and I were able to hang out with my neighbor and law school friend Bob and his wife Rebecca! Bob and Rebecca are NEWLYWEDS as of August 9th! I've known Bob since my first day of classes at Cumberland and have met Rebecca a few times, but last night was our first night to hang out and meet Matt.  Bob and Rebecca brought over one of the wedding gifts Matt and I bought them...the game Apples to Apples! If you haven't played it, you are missing out - it's fun! Anyways, although Rebecca kicked all of our butts, we had a blast.  The great thing is that Bob and Rebecca's relationship is a lot like our relationship - well I'm speaking in 1 major aspect - LONG DISTANCE! The newlyweds live in North Carolina, with Bob commuting to school for the weeks.  It was great to chat with Rebecca on the balcony last night - someone who understands what it's like and how sometimes the reality of long distance sucks! 

That's the case today...the reality that Matt and I are in fact - 623 miles, 9 hours and 37 minutes apart!  Matt's flight back to Washington left this morning and unlike his horrible flight delays getting here - apparently Birmingham has their act together (of course it's also a lot smaller than Washington D.C.) and he had no delays leaving.  Isn't that some irony? I'm pretty sure that if it was up to Matt and I his 18 hour delay/layover should've been today! 

Something Matt said today made so much sense....he told me that it is so much harder for him to say "Goodbye" after long stays than short trips because we have fallen into a routine and feel completely comfortable basically living together....I couldn't agree more.  Then from the airport he texted that he can't wait until we don't have to say goodbye, but instead say "See you at dinner!"  Honestly, I don't think either of us can wait.  So here's to a fast fast fast fast 3L year at law school and UVA basketball season (fast, but long b/c I want them to be in the championship in St. Louis - Go HOOS!)...

Tomorrow is day one of that last year and Matt's first day back.  Let's hope time flies! 


1 comment:

Meredith said...

Good luck with your first week as a 3L!!! I'm sure the time will fly by--you'll be busy which always helps! Let me know if I can do anything for you! :)