Saturday, August 30, 2008

All wisdom is lost...




Well, with no class on Friday and no class on Monday (woo-hoo for Labor Day), nothing spells 4 day weekend like oral surgery involving the removal of my wisdom teeth! That's right, yesterday morning at 8 am I had my wisdom teeth taken out.  Now, let me preface that by saying I'm pretty lucky - I only had 2 wisdom teeth, both on the top.  However, if you know me well enough, it shouldn't come as a shock that I only had 2 wisdom teeth and not 4! Ha! Ha! 

It all began Thursday night when the Dr.'s orders required 4 advil liquid gels and 1 valium at bedtime.  Now, I've never had valium before, but I was definitely looking forward to a good night's sleep.  However, what I got was a night full of turning and almost tossing my cookies.  So, needless to say, I don't love valium.  I woke up Friday morning bright and early and unfortunately had to take 2 more valiums at 6:45 in the morning (1 hour before oral surgery).  Then my mom and I were off.

We arrived at the oral surgeon's office - they took me back and hooked me up to the "happy" medicine - or so the doctor called it! Well, next thing I know they are walking me across to the "recovery room" and I can't remember a thing. Apparently I was a chatty cathy, but you couldn't prove it by me.  Then they wheeled me out to the car - apparently a liability to let me walk (and I'll support that decision b/c I had some wobbly legs). My mom and I got in the car - we drove home - dad had to help my "sea" legs up the stairs of the house and directly into bed I got.  I took my pain pill although I wasn't in much pain and I thought I'd spend the day sleeping - which no law student would complain about.  So on the recommendation of a good law school friend I placed a frozen pack of peas on each side of my cheeks and was ready for a day of rest. So with that I say to percocet - dear pain killer, I don't love you - you did in fact not put me to sleep, you made my head fuzzy and maybe masked the pain, but I was wide awake...all day long!

So, I spent the day hanging out with my nurse, my mom.  It was pretty awesome to hang out with her, laying on the bed watching a marathon of Clean House.  Even dad came in and watched a few episodes with us.  Eventually I tried some ice cream, mashed potatoes, and some applesauce! Sweet! I also really wasn't in much pain (or so I thought).  I mean seriously, look at the size of those two teeth - what was I thinking that there wouldn't be pain!!!

My dad came back home from a run to get some more ice cream (apparently my parents love the same kind I do) and following him into the house was Joy's Flowers.  As you will see above, my fantastic fiance sent me a lovely arrangement of flowers.  That absolutely made my day. The flowers smell and look beautiful.

I was feeling no pain, so skipped the pain pills.  Then, last night came - and so did the pain.  My left side is feeling great, my right side was/and still is in a ridiculous amount of pain!  So back to the pain pills I went.  It's also so weird to sleep sitting up - as I normally lay on one side of my face or the other.  Although last night was maybe about 2 hours of sleep, I was up early this morning hanging out with my dad while nurse mom got to sleep in.  

In fact, besides the right side hurting today I was able to go to Wal-Mart with my parents....seeing as how we ran into everyone and there brother, by the time we left, I've never been so ready to get back in the seclusion that is my parent's house. My mouth was killing me.  I came home - took medicine - and crawled right back into bed! 

Tonight I was able to "eat" some mac-n-cheese.  Really, it still hurts pretty bad to chew so I just swallowed it and with some applesauce.  TASTY!  My parents have been fantastic in helping me recover.  I owe them a lot of gratitude! 

So there you have it...Happy Labor Day Holiday weekend everyone - whether you be vacationing at the beach or at football games (like everyone else I know)...or partaking in some oral surgery!!! Ha! Ha!


No comments: