Thursday, July 24, 2008

Stop and Smell the Stargazer Lilies....

Ok, so everyone who knows me knows that I am not a "girly girl."  I don't love to put on make-up and straighten my hair everyday, my favorite outfit is not a super cute sundress, I don't cry at sad movies, and I'm more happy watching a baseball game than any show on television.  However, I do love what all girls love - surprises from their significant other!  Matt and surprises - are two things that don't normally go together.  But, this time he got me!  On Monday, a beautiful arrangement of stargazer lilies (my favorite flowers) was delivered to the law firm I am clerking for this summer.  The card was even more amazing than the flowers.  So thoughtful and so unexpected! I loved them and I love him. Unfortunately, I haven't had a free moment to take a picture of them, so this is a picture of the flowers Matt sent me last December to wish me luck on my finals.  Gorgeous aren't they?  I will update with a picture of those sent Monday later today.  They are just as beautiful and so many more as it is an arrangement of only stargazer lilies! 

Now, I bet you are wondering - wowzers, flowers on a Monday, just because it was Monday? How does that work?  Well it's even better than that.  The flowers were actually delivered a day early, as Matt had requested them to be delivered Tuesday.  Tuesday was a special day - It was one year ago on Tuesday that I fell in love with Matt.  I won't tell you why or how because I think that is something special to Matt and I, but it's so touching that he remembered and celebrated it with me by sending the flowers.

Matt and I had been dating for a while by this time last year, and I fell in love with him on July 22, 2007, but I wasn't quite ready to say those three words.  However, Matt was.  He said them shortly after the day I fell in love with him (by shortly I mean 2 days later, so today a year ago), but I was mum for another week and a half (even after he said it).  That time was probably awkward for Matt, but I take those words so seriously I didn't want to rush anything, I wanted to be sure.  However after a week and 1/2 that included....moving apartments, making a home cooked meal (home-made mac and cheese and Mexican Thursday), taking down curtains (aka me falling - almost cracking my spine - and an embarassing moment Matt won't let me live down), a day spent painting (literally a WHOLE day - who knew?), heatstrokes (new apartment had no central a/c - and old old old window unit), crazy/random allergic reaction (freaked both Matt and I out - called my father, Matt literally ran to corner gas station to get medicine - so freaky), BBQ and poker with friends, a USA v. China baseball game, and SONICCCC later...I didn't hesitate to let him know that I loved him too.  

So here we are, a year later, still madly in love, happily engaged, and daily uttering those three words with out any hesitation.

3 comments:

Meredith said...

You two are so adorable! Matt sounds super sweet. :)

Maggie said...

Hi Kelly! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. So fun that we have a common friend in Meredith! She has been such an amazing friend to me. I really like your blog layout too! Sounds like you have a great guy! Have fun wedding planning!

Elizabeth said...

you didn't tell me matt got you flowers! come on, you can't expect me to keep up with the blog every day. You know me. Anyway, that was super sweet of him. Hope you guys are having a great weekend!