Saturday, November 21, 2009

Basketball - HOO style!

So the season is upon us (actually, bear with us because it has been here for a while, but we've been busy)...and I'm not talking about the holiday season...I'm talking about blood, sweat, tears, hustle, heart, DEFENSE, the blue and orange....I'm talking UVA Women's Basketball!

The started the season with an away game Friday Nov. 13, against University of Maryland Baltimore County. The girls dominated their opener winning 68-57, and giving head coach Debbie Ryan her 700th win. Can you believe that? 700? I mean seriously...that's a lot! Congrats to Debbie Ryan...and of course all those players that helped her to get there because let's face it...you can't win without good players....

Which brings me to my next subject...the players....and this year they are G-O-O-D...yeah, I capitalized the whole stinkin' word...I've had the opportunity to go to the next 2 games the Hoos have played (namely because they've hosted them here in Charlottesville at JPJ...but let's move past that...)


The first game I attended was their second, Sunday Nov. 15th, against Manhattan. The Hoos looked good winning 86-68.

The second game I attended was their third, Wednesday Nov. 18th, against USC Upstate, winning 110-63...and here ladies and gentlemen is where the action occurred!!! Here is where I started to pay real attention and I'd love to share what I learned, because this team is something special.

1) China Crosby (she's new...a 1st year [UVA is a little particular and freshman aren't freshman, they are 1st years....anyways)...she's fast...and I don't just mean a hustler...I mean she is a blur...the whole game long..

2) Monica Wright....she's not just a team leader and a play creater...this girl is one word FEARLESS! She hustles down the court to take a charge...every and anytime she can to help her team out...now let me explain what a charge is...you stand completely still and let the other team hit you to the ground....like just standing there and letting a charging train or bull knock you down...now you see what I mean...FEARLESS!

3) Chelsea Shine...she's tall..I mean really really tall...and that's great and all for defense...but let's focus on her offense...you might look at the court and only see her hands waiving for the ball...she is always working hard to call for the ball..and when she gets it...you might as well go ahead and count those 2 points...

4) Pooh...(first things first...it's her nickname...even the crowd, cheerleaders, and pep band say it...so that's what I'll use)...right here is the definition of HEART! she was out last year - injury to knee....well she is back and according to DR's quote not yet at 100% but let me tell you...she is 100% better than where she was last year before the injury...you can tell she has been busting her tail in the off-season!

Ok, so that's just the top 4 things I noticed...and I can't share everything....why you ask because I know for a fact that the best is yet to come...and hopefully tomorrow!!!

Tomorrow, Sunday Nov. 21, UVA Women's Basketball team opens up JPJ to the infamous Lady Vols (sidenote: the ones that the Hoos beat last year at their house in Tennessee 83-82)

So again....what time is it...GAME TIME!

LET'S GO HOOS!

(Sidenote: I took pictures at the Manhattan game and at the USC Upstate game, just haven't had time to transfer them to the computer...)


No comments: