Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Raced for a cure, but someone's still sick!







Downtown St. Louis was a sea of pink on Saturday, June 21st, as nearly 64,000 breast cancer survivors, co-survivors, and supporters gathered for the 10th Annual Susan G. Komen St. Louis Race for the Cure. The event raised $3.3 MILLION, the largest amount in the history of the race!! Can you imagine that? Well you could if you were there - and I WAS! I drove up to St. Louis on Thursday after work with my mother. My twin sister, Robyn flew in on Friday morning. After a good night's rest (ha ha ha) we were up-and-at-it around 4 am on Saturday. By the time we (and by we, I mean: Me, my mom, twin sister Robyn, oldest sister Kimberly, brother-in-law Jeff, and nephews Logan 4, Carter 2) got to the Race (early for the freebies) it was already swamped. We headed straight for the sponsor booths, and I can already tell you what the best freebie was this year...A PINK CAPE!!!! Oh I'm totally not kidding!! Everyone has always wanted to be a superhero at some in time in their life - you know you have, and now with a cape you felt like you were 1/2 way there, add in 63,999 other people with you all for the same cause - you were a superhero, if only for a day. The race was fantastic - beautiful weather, fun shirts everywhere (such as: Save Second Base - where my sisters and I had to tell my mom exactly what "second base" really was), great attitudes (yes, my 4 yr. old nephew Logan got a high-five and tons of thank-yous from a 5 year survior about 1/4 a mile before the finish line...did i mention that he ran?), great family (it was absolutely phenomenal to spend such a time bonding with women in my family over a disease that primarily effects women - i am so thankful to have such a great female support group in my family), and most importantly the feeling of making a difference. I think that gets lost these days. I used to do a lot of charity work when I lived in Texas. Since moving to Birmingham, I've done little to none. That will change. And I know when I move to C'ville I'll definitely get involved in something. In fact, I've already checked - the Race for the Cure is either Washington D.C. or Richmond, VA - but Matt and I both think the D.C. one sounds great - so look for an additional 2 racers next June in DC for Race for the Cure!

Matt was sick again on Sunday...and this time far worse than the other day. So after a visit to the ER, needles, tubes, x-rays, blood work, and catscans - he's feeling better, taking things slower, and learning how to relax. I think this was a scare for the whole family (mine and Matt's) but luckily he got an almost clean bill of health (let's face it, nobody has a clean bill of health) and was sent home without an over-night stay. He went in on Sunday when 110 kiddos were checking into one of UVA's fantastic women's basketball camps. Now don't get me wrong, I love the kiddos in my family - but 110 kiddos (needless to say all female) - who wouldn't be sent to the ER in that situation? Well, those kiddos - after a phenomenal camp - check out later today. I know what you are thinking - "Woo-hoo! Matt gets to take a break and rest his strained body!"- well, not exactly. Campers check in tomorrow for UVA's Women's Elite Camp - so at least it doesn't range all the way down to 3rd graders and it is girls who take women's basketball seriously and are very very talented. (Reminds me of when I went to Auburn's Elite Women's Basketball Camp summer before my senior year in high school - I went up against a huge girl - her name was Baby Shaq -not kidding, that is what they called her - so yeah, let's face it...as 5'7'' I was screwed...oh the joys!)

So this week is just another day at the office for both Matt and I...I'm stuck in a room researching on Lexis all day (I get here no later than 6:15 am - so by all day I mean until 2:15)...and Matt is running from gym to gym, dorm to dorm, rounding up 110 kiddos, getting them to their rightful parents (it was trouble last year - girl stuck at airport - can't get on flight...anyways..), and other various and sundry things that go with being a camp director.



2 comments:

Meredith said...

Awesome post! It made me want to join in a race, too! I think I know what's going on with the blue paper--it doesn't seem to be repeating. I'll try to fix it if that's ok. :)

Mary Frances said...

The Race for the Cure in B'ham is every October!!! We should do it :) We'll have to find one of those "Save second base" shirts to wear...too awesome!